Sample Job Description for
Position of Chief Executive Officer
Modified by Carter McNamara, MBA, PhD | Applies to nonprofits and for-profits unless noted
First-Timers | Library Catalog | Library Home Page | Contact Us | Reprint Permission
Authenticity Consulting Home Page | MAP Home Page
(The following job description should be reviewed and customized by an organization to meet the needs and nature of the organization.)
NOTE: References to a Boards of Directors in the following are in regard to chief executive officers of corporations, whether for-profit or nonprofit. Nonprofit-specific items marked as such.
Job Title: Chief Executive
· To implement the strategic goals and objectives of the organization
· With the chair, enable the Board to fulfill its governance function
· To give direction and leadership toward the achievement of the organization's philosophy, mission, strategy, and its annual goals and objectives
Reports to: Board of Directors
1. Board Administration and Support -- Supports operations and administration of Board by advising and informing Board members, interfacing between Board and staff, and supporting Board's evaluation of chief executive
2. Program, Product and Service Delivery -- Oversees design, marketing, promotion, delivery and quality of programs, products and services
3. Financial, Tax, Risk and Facilities Management -- Recommends yearly budget for Board approval and prudently manages organization's resources within those budget guidelines according to current laws and regulations
4. Human Resource Management -- Effectively manages the human resources of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations
5. Community and Public Relations -- Assures the organization and its mission, programs, products and services are consistently presented in strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders
6. Fundraising (nonprofit-specific) -- Oversees fundraising planning and implementation, including identifying resource requirements, researching funding sources, establishing strategies to approach funders, submitting proposals and administrating fundraising records and documentation
Job description last revised and authorized by Board: [insert date]
Sample Job Descriptions
General Manager (GM)/Chief Operating Officer (COO)
II. RELATED TITLES
Club Manager; Club House Manager
III. JOB SUMMARY
Serves as Chief Operating Officer of the club: manages all aspects of the club including its activities and the relationships between the club and its Board of Directors, members, guests, employees, community, government and industry. Coordinates and administers the club's policies as defined by its Board of Directors. Develops operating policies and procedures and directs the work of all department managers. Implements and monitors the budget, monitors the quality of the club's products and services and ensures maximum member and guest satisfaction. Secures and protects the club's assets, including facilities and equipment.
IV. JOB TASKS (DUTIES)
1. Implements general policies established by the Board of Directors; directs their administration and execution.
2. Plans, develops and approves specific operational policies, programs, procedures and methods in concert with general policies.
3. Coordinates the development of the club's long range and annual (business) plans
4. Develops, maintains and administers a sound organizational plan; initiates improvements as necessary.
5. Establishes a basic personnel policy; initiates and monitors policies relating to personnel actions and training and professional development programs.
6. Maintains membership with the Club Managers Association of America and other professional associations. Attends conferences, workshops and meetings to keep abreast of current information and developments in the field.
7. Coordinates development of operating and capital budgets according to the budget calendar; monitors monthly and other financial statements for the club; takes effective corrective action as required.
8. Coordinates and serves as ex-officio member of appropriate club committees.
9. Welcomes new club members; "meets and greets" all club members as practical during their visits to the club.
10. Provides advice and recommendations to the President and committees about construction, alterations, maintenance, materials, supplies, equipment and services not provided in approved plans and/or budgets.
11. Consistently assures that the club is operated in accordance with all applicable local, state and federal laws.
12. Oversees the care and maintenance of all the club's physical assets and facilities.
13. Coordinates the marketing and membership relations programs to promote the club's services and facilities to potential and present members.
14. Ensures the highest standards for food, beverage, sports and recreation, entertainment and other club services.
15. Establishes and monitors compliance with purchasing policies and procedures.
16. Reviews and initiates programs to provide members with a variety of popular events.
17. Analyzes financial statements, manages cash flow and establishes controls to safeguard funds. Reviews income and costs relative to goals; takes corrective action as necessary.
18. Works with subordinate department heads to schedule, supervise and direct the work of all employees.
19. Attends meetings of the club's Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
20. Participates in outside activities that are judged as appropriate and approved by the Board of Directors to enhance the prestige of the club; broadens the scope of the club's operation by fulfilling the public obligations of the club as a participating member of the community.
V. REPORTS TO
Club President and Board of Directors
Assistant General Manager (Club House Manager); Food and Beverage Director; Controller; Membership Director; Director of Human Resources; Director of Purchasing; Golf Professional (Director of Golf); Golf Course Superintendent; Tennis Professional; Athletic Director; Executive Secretary.
Answered By: Strawberry - 5/1/2006