How should I handle this problem with my employer?

I just found out that I won't be eligible for a merit raised, based upon a performance appraisal that happened earlier this year. Nevermind the fact that I was forced to perform the work of two positions, thereby being unable to excel in the performance of either one, and all the stress that comes with such a position. Despite numerous attempts to let them know that I was overworked, the manager kept telling me to do the best I can. Now, two years later, despite being a team player, it has bitten me in the rear. I feel betrayed, not only in this, but also in being passed up for promotions. While I'm currently searching for a new job, I still feel the desire to write a formal complaint to HR concerning this matter. Problem is, those in the past who have voiced such complaints to HR, have suffered for it at the hands of their employers. Any suggestions? Preferably nothing that breaks the law.

Asked By: The Naughty Scotsman - 9/13/2006
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
Working 1 position is hard enough but to have to work 2 is total suicide... More
Answered By: colette_scam - 9/13/2006
Additional Answers (15)
Hiya, You need to go to a local employment advice centre, it depends on the nature of your contract and local employment law as to the specifics.
Answered By: Bebe - 9/13/2006
Don't you have a personnel office. Start there. Also, if you are in a union, talk to them
Answered By: Ya-sai - 9/13/2006
Find a new job. Accept the fact that you got screwed and move on. You need a good reference to get future jobs and you don't want to give them any reason to make you look bad to prospective employers.
Answered By: startwinkle05 - 9/13/2006
The unfortuate truth to jobs is that everyone has a choice - to keep your job or to go elsewhere. Beyond that the risks of creating a fuss are usually not worth it.
Answered By: Bob H - 9/13/2006
Do you know anyone else that works as an HR rep, but not for your company? Perhaps giving more details to that person could give you a solution? Being passed up for promotion seems to be the normal situation these days. Companies seem to have the attitude that it would be better to bring in an outside person then to... More
Answered By: Brian H - 9/13/2006
you know what your stuck . you know what get the heck out . not now but do what your doing and be up front and not bitter when you interveiw for other jobs . carry yourself well but as i said matter of fact and it should carry you far. you have been screwed but guess happens all the... More
Answered By: terri e - 9/13/2006
It sounds like one of those companies, that praise during the time they want you to do things, just to keep you sweet and onside, but then when it comes to rewarding you, they have no money, or you haven't performed as well as you should and so on. If I was you I would start looking for another job, and hopefully... More
Answered By: tracymcuk - 9/13/2006
I work in the HR department of my work. You should trust the HR department to handle the complaint for you. However, I would suggest joining your union and sending them a carbon copy (CC) of the letter. You will be less likely to be given the runaround by your employer if a union is on your side... More
Answered By: Fred - 9/13/2006
Whenever you are preseting something like this to HR, you must have all facts. You can't come half stepping because they take things like this very serious. If you haven't done your homework(as far as dates, certain incidents) cause you have to have proof and it has to be legitimate, you need to start. Take action and... More
Answered By: menyauna s - 9/13/2006
I have worked in performance & career Management section and I do know that most employee do fail for reason that are beyond their measure. I am sure that in your organization that one you seek for transfer, it can be achieved. You should go to the HR department with your complain and explain to the manager your... More
Answered By: ngina - 9/13/2006
Ask your boss if there is an appeal process. You need to point out you were doing two jobs. Surely that would put in higher up in the performance ratings!
Answered By: helen g - 9/13/2006
File a law suit against your employer, your boss, his boss, and the owners - corporate officials of the company for unfair employment treatment. that is the only way to recoup monies for unfair treatment under the subjective methods of pay raises used by some firms.
Answered By: zahbudar - 9/13/2006
Since you are looking for a new job, I would wait to file your grievances with HR until after you get another offer and accept it. Usually, once you quit and give two weeks notice, you will get an exit interview. Then, you can tell them your complaints..and it should be confidential. If your complaint is leaked...... More
Answered By: intrepid18 - 9/13/2006
Find something else and quit. Life is too short to be unhappy. Employers could care less about your opinion, they already have told you what they think of your hard work - get their message and move on.
Answered By: Tinactin - 9/13/2006
hurray that you have started looking for a new career. leave that complaint wif HR when u r doing ur exit interview. however, do note not to commit personal attack, simply put it such that it's for the interest of the company... More
Answered By: phy19050 - 9/13/2006
Sponsored results
Over 483 Local Jobs Now Hiring In Your Area. $18-$87/Hr - Apply Today!
Make $17-$27/hr Working at Home. Requirements: Must Have Computer
Up to $47/hr Part-Time Job Openings. Free Schedule, No Scam. Start Now
Drive Your Car - Make up to $600 Per Weekend. Work When You Want.

Other Career Questions

What is your current job? Why did you choose this job? What do you enjoy about your job? What do you dislike about your job? What would be your perfect job? Would you rather have this j...
3 answers - Asked By: drop pants not bombs!.♥ - 3/2/2010
Where are the jobs? Is productivity and globalization creating a permanent “recession” of jobs? My main issue is I am doing a paper for school and have no idea where to begin. I was hoping suggestions...
4 answers - Asked By: bayebd24【ツ】 - 11/21/2007
Hi ok im 19 and about to start college to do an acess course into a university. Ive been browsing through all the courses and im tottaly stuck! I thought politics but im scared ill end up with some r...
1 answers - Asked By: roseparkerly - 1/26/2009

Content is not owned or controlled by Monster. Any content concerns should be addressed with Yahoo!
Yahoo! Does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Yahoo! Answers content. Yahoo! Disclaimer.

Popular Articles

Best-Paying Work-from-Home Jobs Article Rating
It’s easier than ever to work from home. Of course, not every job is a mobile job, and some companies aren’t interested in having their employees work from home.
2013 Marketing Jobs Outlook Article Rating
The US may be facing another year of anemic hiring overall, but that won't be the case in the high-orbit world of multichannel, digital media marketing.
For Employers: Post Jobs | Search Resumes | Advertise
About Monster | Work for Monster | Advertise with Us | AdChoices | Partner with Us | Investor Relations | Social Media
Terms of Use | Privacy Center | Accessibility Center | Help | Security | Contact Us | Sitemap | Mobile
©2014 Monster - All Rights Reserved U.S. Patents No. 5,832,497; 7,599,930 B1; 7,827,125 and 7,836,060 MWW - Looking for Monster Cable? - V: 2014.1.40.24-307