1. Build more teaching hospitals that provide scholarships to interns in medical education in exchange for service in public health care. Reduce class sizes in schools to create more jobs for more teachers while providing better education and individual attention to students. Promote peer mediation and means for school communities to vote on or decide their own policies on prayer and religion, sex education, creation/evolution, etc.
2. Create a federal banking program, modeled after the federal reserve, where loans are issued in the form of notes against the debt owed to victims of fraud and civil rights violations. This would allow taxpayers to be paid back for corruption or malfeasance by government or corporate wrongdoing, such as Enron. And the loans could be used to finance rebuilding of impoverished areas to help low-income people to become owners of land, homes and businesses. Microlending is not a handout, but promotes financial education and training, and could eventually replace the current welfare system. Microfinancing to promote property and business ownership would also be a feasible alternative to reparations for slavery; but restitution for all civil rights violations could be provided this way.
3. Expand the Justice Dept. into the Dept. of Peace and Justice. Create and train a peace force of civilian volunteers to work with leaders and citizens in oppressed or at-risk areas to prevent war and violence. Add "mediation and consensus" to the choices along with "trial by judge" and "trial by jury." Add a third house of Congress based on "proportional representation" by party, where all groups have representation, and any one or any group can propose legislation, but bills are written by joint committees and endorsed by consensus. So the point is for opposing groups to work out the issues that divide them and create legislation that fairly represents the whole public, not one side over the other.
4. I would allow and encourage the President and Vice President to come from different parties to balance the ticket. I would recommend using the President's position to focus on external affairs, or foreign policy; and use the Vice President position to focus on internal affairs or domestic policy. As President of the Senate, the Vice President can make sure there is consensus among the 100 Senators on legislation that touches on "church and state" issues such as gay marriage, the death penalty/abortion/euthanasia, school prayer and evolution/creation, immigration and war, etc. in order to prevent any religious imposition by one group over another. For example, in order to remove the unfair bias against women in criminalizing abortion, I would propose legislation that holds men responsible for the consequences of sex, by making it a lesser degree of r**e (punishable by mandatory counseling or other restitution) if sex results in an unwanted child, unwanted pregnancy or unwanted abortion or other injury to the woman.
5. Foreign policy -- Define a civil procedure by which minority states can petition for independence from the parent country WITHOUT bloodshed, war or violence. Since history shows that independence is a natural stage in social development, why not define a process and provide a mentoring or support system by which states can take steps to become self-governing and economically viable, with civil infrastructure and educational and social resources to support a healthy population.
6. Immigration -- Build a series of campus complexes across the Mexican border to create city-states for dual citizens to live legally while accessing educational and work opportunities, health care and other services. U.S. Residents and businesses that have committed violations of immigration laws can either provide voluntary or mandatory restitution in the form of community service hours or investing money or other resources to build "North Mexico" so that no one has to break the law in order to seek a better life. The border state will include a maximum security prison system and correctional facility, so that the armed prison guards will double as border patrol. Inmates will include sex offenders, who need to be segregated from the general population while seeking therapy, and violent conflicts who will lose their citizenship for the duration of their sentence, to create a space for an immigrant applying for citizenship who wants to be a law-abiding productive member of society. So this system would enforce respect for laws as the requirement of citizenship by rewarding civil behavior and punishing violation or abuse of rights and freedoms by loss of citizenship and serving time across the border.
7. For sex offenders who have committed r**e or murder, these convicts could serve restitution by working in factories in place of child laborers. So in place of the lives or childhood dreams they destroyed, they can save the lives of young children otherwise sold into slavery or sex trafficking, who can then go to school and get an education to have a better life. So I would propose this system as a joint program between the government, which would provide the military security, and the Catholic church which supports immigrant services, is opposed to the death penalty, and believes in restitution and rehabilitation.
8. Constitutional reform, education, and compliance - I would support legislation that requires corporations and citizens to respect the same Constitutional rights and freedoms required of government, including the Bill of Rights and the Code of Ethics for Government Service. Set up a grievance process for Constitutional compliance, modeled after OSHA process, and mediation process that requires consensus to resolve conflicts between parties. Any state or community, local or foreign, where corporations enjoy Constitutional rights and freedoms, the local population would be guaranteed the same. I would also apply the petitioning and mediation process to help embattled regions worldwide to resolve political and religious conflicts. For local areas, such as the Headwaters Redwood Forest in California and Freedmen's Town in Houston, restitution for corporate and government abuses of public resources and civil rights would be invested in preserving these areas as National Parks. All government agencies and institutions would be reviewed for Constitutional compliance or violation, and reformed or removed accordingly and/or replaced with an appropriate private or nonprofit organization funded voluntarily instead of with public taxes.
9. Invest medical research into documenting the existence and treatment of spiritual "viruses" or negative "demonic" energies that cause mental and criminal illness and addictions so proper treatment can be made accessible to prevent victims of these. Addicts or offenders or their families could be required to report crimes in order for convicts to qualify to serve sentences locally if they cooperate with authorities; while those who evade the law or obstruct justice would lose the right to citizenship and be forced to serve time in foreign prisons for the length of the sentence. This would encourage people to come forward to receive treatment for criminal addiction or illness, and provide harsher punishment to those who refuse to seek help to change their behavior.
10. Tax reform -- legislation that allows citizens to choose options to fund that do not violate their religious beliefs, such as those alternatives mentioned above: life in foreign labor or community service as an alternative to capital punishment; service in the peace force as opposed to military and war; options to fund private schools, private prisons, privatized social security that recognizes same sex partnerships and benefits; more effective sex and spiritual education to prevent abandoned children, unwanted pregnancies, and abortions, etc. Instead of punishing tax evasion by imprisonment, restitution or fines could be paid into funding alternative solutions and programs listed above.
Answered By: emilynghiem - 1/4/2007