How can I find assistance for a family in need?

OK, here's the scoop: My friend is physically disabled due to a work-related injury when she worked as a CNA, and her health is not very good at all. She is borderline diabetic and she was on the verge of having a stroke and a heart attack the day before Easter. Essentially she is very stressed about her and her family at the poverty level and about not providing an Easter for her family. Her husband left her for a younger woman, and he admitted in being with her because of her money. He is living better without any regards to his wife and young children's plight. They are still married, however. My friend cannot afford to pay all her bills and she and her family tend to go hungry a lot. I try to help financially but I am really to the breaking point because of other obligations I must attend to. They reside in rural North Central Florida, and I don't know what else to include so I can get more responses to my question. I am also looking for ways to self-help. Please help TY

Asked By: Maria Gallercia - 4/9/2007
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
Hello Maria... More
Answered By: A F - 4/9/2007
Additional Answers (19)
Try to locate your local Office Of Public Assistance. They will evaluate your friend and help her with: Food stamps, Medicaid, Childcare, Occupational rehabilitation, and so on and so forth. they can take care of everything needed to get her back on her feet.
Answered By: poopinmypocket - 4/9/2007
first , how long ago was the injury - you said work related she could go after the employer for something... More
Answered By: slave of 12 Gods - 4/9/2007
Contact your local social services or a community church. These organizations will be more than happy to help you.
Answered By: mJc - 4/9/2007
Maria. She needs to go to the DSS office (Department of Social Services). There are also some other places she can get help for her needs. However. I am intrigued by the fact that she has not gotten help by now... More
Answered By: Mr. D. Wiccan - 4/9/2007
email the office of Jeb Bush for help getting to the right dept forhelp. Jeb Bush is the gov of Florida.
Answered By: Bob M - 4/9/2007
There are several government programs. The first place to check for a list of people and programs in her area would be the United Way. United Way usually has money towards the first of the month available to help with rent or utilities and can direct you to other groups that might be of assistance. In Texas there is... More
Answered By: ginger c - 4/9/2007
Answered By: imputh - 4/9/2007
Well : you can " Volunteer with an local Orginization where they'd Sponsor Special People yes& according towards those needs would help your Friend also called (Access Transportations Service done by City Bus any way talk with with them and ask Family Doctor about Curb- Curb Program !"
Answered By: - 4/9/2007
Suggestions to seek out the local social workers through the Dept. of Social Services or Dept. of Children and Families are a wise start. Also follow up on church benevolence programs and other United Way funded charities as well as Social Security Disability. One good thing about following through with public... More
Answered By: Jennifer S - 4/9/2007
All States offer assistance to people who are disabled, She need to go to the Social Security office and they will be able to help with assistance with medical and health also look into programs that provide assistance to people with disability's who can't or barley take care of them selves... More
Answered By: Just me! - 4/9/2007
Tell her to apply to Social Services (welfare). She will get help. Also to local churches or charitable organizations. Tell her to phone the local government office and ask them what assistance they can offer someone in her position - especially for re-training for a possible job... More
Answered By: concernedjean - 4/9/2007
... unsure who maybe help ... ... maybe past work friends ... ^^ ... maybe parents or relatives ... ^^ ... maybe soup kitchen or food bank or church or synagogue or m o s k ... ^^ ... maybe teachers or friends or elders or police ... ^^ ... Easter and church is free ... ^^ ... you're welcome ...
Answered By: bbdaiwbahcahtce - 4/10/2007
Maria, I want to help. I have been making care packages for families like hers and want to help. We have kids clothing we would like to donate and would like to send her some dry goods to help feed her kids. Contact me, please... More
Answered By: MrsZ - 4/10/2007
Is the bum that split paying child support/ Does he have a job? The state of Florida can and will garnish his check. This need not go on another day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Answered By: p h - 4/10/2007
Call up different churches, go to social services, any human resources should be able to help you. Try salvation army, red cross andy where you can think of.
Answered By: ann m - 4/10/2007
call your local health department. they should have some programs for your friend.
Answered By: jackholmes321 - 4/10/2007
I have a couple of thoughts as I have been challenged to help in this way also... More
Answered By: Durchai - 4/13/2007
Well first I will be praying for her of course. Can she qualify for SS? She could probably get housing assistance and medicaid. You need to have her contact social services in her community. Jesus is Lord
Answered By: carpentershammerer - 4/16/2007
dial 211 on the telephone or or on the internet there is a whole list of resourses there
Answered By: summertime - 4/17/2007
Sponsored results
Over 482 Local Jobs Now Hiring In Your Area. $19-$87/Hr - Apply Today!
(89) Local Jobs Paying $18-$94/Hour- Available Today. Apply Now! jobs
Jobs paying $16-$93 Per Hour. Apply Online- Get Hired Now! jobs
Jobs hiring near your local area. Part-time, Full-time, Work at home.

Other Career Questions

What is your current job? Why did you choose this job? What do you enjoy about your job? What do you dislike about your job? What would be your perfect job? Would you rather have this j...
3 answers - Asked By: drop pants not bombs!.♥ - 3/2/2010
Where are the jobs? Is productivity and globalization creating a permanent “recession” of jobs? My main issue is I am doing a paper for school and have no idea where to begin. I was hoping suggestions...
4 answers - Asked By: bayebd24【ツ】 - 11/21/2007
Hi ok im 19 and about to start college to do an acess course into a university. Ive been browsing through all the courses and im tottaly stuck! I thought politics but im scared ill end up with some r...
1 answers - Asked By: roseparkerly - 1/26/2009

Content is not owned or controlled by Monster. Any content concerns should be addressed with Yahoo!
Yahoo! Does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Yahoo! Answers content. Yahoo! Disclaimer.

Popular Articles

Best-Paying Work-from-Home Jobs Article Rating
It’s easier than ever to work from home. Of course, not every job is a mobile job, and some companies aren’t interested in having their employees work from home.
2013 Marketing Jobs Outlook Article Rating
The US may be facing another year of anemic hiring overall, but that won't be the case in the high-orbit world of multichannel, digital media marketing.
For Employers: Post Jobs | Search Resumes | Advertise
About Monster | Work for Monster | Advertise with Us | AdChoices | Partner with Us | Investor Relations | Social Media
Terms of Use | Privacy Center | Accessibility Center | Help | Security | Contact Us | Sitemap | Mobile
©2014 Monster - All Rights Reserved U.S. Patents No. 5,832,497; 7,599,930 B1; 7,827,125 and 7,836,060 MWW - Looking for Monster Cable? - V: 2014.1.40.24-306