I will be paid $5000 this year over a few months working as a part time consultant. How am I taxed?

I will be paid twice a month, probably about 400 a paycheck. We file married. My husband works 2 jobs and I have this marketing consultant gig i picked up. I am an independant contractor. Can we just add this to our household income and be taxed accordingly or do I have to file quarterly and pay estimate taxes? Thanks! I was hoping we could adjust my husband's to compensate. Last year, we got about $900 back. So how would we adjust it, just take an additional $20 a week out of his? bostonianinmo, i don't understand. is the bottom line that i should expect to pay 28% of the $5000 in taxes or that plus the self employment tax? OK, I understand generally although I do not know what brackets we are in. How to I find out?

Asked By: -- - 6/7/2007
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
On your tax return, you'll include a schedule C or C-EZ showing your consulting income and any associated expenses, and a schedule SE to calculate self-employment tax on the net. The net from your C-EZ will transfer to your 1040, and add to your other joint income for the total to calculate your income tax on. The... More
Answered By: Judy - 6/7/2007
Additional Answers (4)
It depends on how much tax you paid last year and how much tax your husband is having withheld from his check. You have the make estimated tax payments of at least 90% of the current years tax. If you don't you will get hit with a penalty. Do some calculating and figure out what your tax liability will be this year. An... More
Answered By: Ronin - 6/7/2007
You should pay estimated quarterly taxes to your state and the federal government. You can print the forms on the official IRS site,
Answered By: ne11 - 6/7/2007
You will add this to your household income, but remember that you are responsible for your own FICA if no taxes are being withheld. I don't know your tax bracket, but if you are earning additional income that is not taxed, I would keep at least 25% of it for taxes. If you and your husband make over 100K then I'd keep... More
Answered By: Mo Better - Mo Cheddar - 6/7/2007
You may have to make quarterly estimated payments, if your total tax liability will exceed $1,000 over and above the amounts withheld from you and your husband's W-2 jobs. Alternatively you and / or your husband could have additional money withheld by your W-2 employers to cover the liability. File updated Form(s) W-... More
Answered By: bostonianinmo - 6/7/2007
Sponsored results
New job opportunities added daily. Search Virginia jobs now!
Over 483 Local Jobs Now Hiring In Your Area. $18-$87/Hr - Apply Today!
Earn $95/hr Bookkeeping Right From Home. Free Video Explains All!
Click. Search. Apply. Free!

Other Career Questions

What is your current job? Why did you choose this job? What do you enjoy about your job? What do you dislike about your job? What would be your perfect job? Would you rather have this j...
3 answers - Asked By: drop pants not bombs!.♥ - 3/2/2010
Where are the jobs? Is productivity and globalization creating a permanent “recession” of jobs? My main issue is I am doing a paper for school and have no idea where to begin. I was hoping suggestions...
4 answers - Asked By: bayebd24【ツ】 - 11/21/2007
Hi ok im 19 and about to start college to do an acess course into a university. Ive been browsing through all the courses and im tottaly stuck! I thought politics but im scared ill end up with some r...
1 answers - Asked By: roseparkerly - 1/26/2009

Content is not owned or controlled by Monster. Any content concerns should be addressed with Yahoo!
Yahoo! Does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Yahoo! Answers content. Yahoo! Disclaimer.

Popular Articles

Best-Paying Work-from-Home Jobs Article Rating
It’s easier than ever to work from home. Of course, not every job is a mobile job, and some companies aren’t interested in having their employees work from home.
2013 Marketing Jobs Outlook Article Rating
The US may be facing another year of anemic hiring overall, but that won't be the case in the high-orbit world of multichannel, digital media marketing.
For Employers: Post Jobs | Search Resumes | Advertise
About Monster | Work for Monster | Advertise with Us | AdChoices | Partner with Us | Investor Relations | Social Media
Terms of Use | Privacy Center | Accessibility Center | Help | Security | Contact Us | Sitemap | Mobile
©2014 Monster - All Rights Reserved U.S. Patents No. 5,832,497; 7,599,930 B1; 7,827,125 and 7,836,060 MWW - Looking for Monster Cable? - V: 2014.1.40.24-201