Who is responsible for enforcing the law that says a law enforcement officer must do their job?

In this case I am talking about a building inspector. If his job is to enforce codes, and he doesn't do it, who is it that busts HIM for not obeying the law that gave him that responsibility? In this instance there is a building that has no certificate of occupancy, and isn't even finished, but it belongs to his friend, so he is allowing the friend to live there even though the building violates codes. I am talking about a very small community, and the code enforcement office has a total of three people. The guy in charge is aware of the status of the home, but has chosen not to enforce the code that says you can't live in a house without a certificate of occupancy. He answers directly to the town supervisor, who, for some reason, lets this guy get away with this stuff all over the place. The town attorney won't do anything either. I've asked them both. So, someone should be responsible for making ALL of them obey the laws on the town's books, but no one will!

Asked By: and_the_collared_girls_go_doot - 8/22/2007
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
If you do not feel that a police officer is performing their job, you can file a complaint with the Chief of police, and the local police board. Keep photocopies of whatever you send, and register it, when you mail it. You may get a fair hearing on your complaint, but don't bet on it.
Answered By: bgee2001ca - 8/30/2007
Additional Answers (9)
that's the age old question --- who's policing the police? as far as a building inspector goes, you should have more to say about his job. contact the mayor or your city council or commission, etc. to raise a big stink. don't let the safety of the public fall under this guy who ain't doing his job.
Answered By: curious_One - 8/22/2007
the mayor and chef of police
Answered By: n8tivpoint - 8/22/2007
Call the city and report it, I don't know the title of whom you should ask for, but tell them it has to do with one of their Code enforcement officers, and you need to talk to a supervisor.
Answered By: iam_sohappi - 8/22/2007
There is usually something called Standard Operating Procedures(SOP) which guide and dictate what can and can not be done.
Answered By: glen b - 8/22/2007
A building inspector likely has a superior in his office. He is not likely the "head" of the office unless its a very small community. Even in that case they have superiors that are elected - usually a city council or a board of supervisors. Prior to going that distance though you should look up the head of the city... More
Answered By: netjr - 8/22/2007
Whoever the hiring authority is has authority over him. In some cities that's a commissioner of public safety, the mayor, or a city manager. Ultimately, you want to notify his boss. You could also contact the governing body that is responsible for him. County Commission, City Council, etc...
Answered By: CoachT - 8/22/2007
Well first of all he is not allowing it because you said yourself there has not been a certificate issued. So you assume he knows about it but is allowing it... More
Answered By: art v - 8/22/2007
the sheriff and if that doesnt work then go to the commissioners.........good luck
Answered By: firstmammaw - 8/27/2007
The chief of police, then the mayor.
Answered By: Corky - 8/30/2007
Sponsored results
Over 483 Local Jobs Now Hiring In Your Area. $18-$87/Hr - Apply Today!
Work At Home Jobs Make $87/HR, Jobs Seen On TV. Jobs Hiring Now
Drive Your Car - Make up to $600 Per Weekend. Work When You Want.
Up to $47/hr Part-Time Job Openings. Free Schedule, No Scam. Start Now

Other Career Questions

What is your current job? Why did you choose this job? What do you enjoy about your job? What do you dislike about your job? What would be your perfect job? Would you rather have this j...
3 answers - Asked By: drop pants not bombs!.♥ - 3/2/2010
Where are the jobs? Is productivity and globalization creating a permanent “recession” of jobs? My main issue is I am doing a paper for school and have no idea where to begin. I was hoping suggestions...
4 answers - Asked By: bayebd24【ツ】 - 11/21/2007
Hi ok im 19 and about to start college to do an acess course into a university. Ive been browsing through all the courses and im tottaly stuck! I thought politics but im scared ill end up with some r...
1 answers - Asked By: roseparkerly - 1/26/2009

Content is not owned or controlled by Monster. Any content concerns should be addressed with Yahoo!
Yahoo! Does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Yahoo! Answers content. Yahoo! Disclaimer.

Popular Articles

Best-Paying Work-from-Home Jobs Article Rating
It’s easier than ever to work from home. Of course, not every job is a mobile job, and some companies aren’t interested in having their employees work from home.
2013 Marketing Jobs Outlook Article Rating
The US may be facing another year of anemic hiring overall, but that won't be the case in the high-orbit world of multichannel, digital media marketing.
For Employers: Post Jobs | Search Resumes | Advertise
About Monster | Work for Monster | Advertise with Us | AdChoices | Partner with Us | Investor Relations | Social Media
Terms of Use | Privacy Center | Accessibility Center | Help | Security | Contact Us | Sitemap | Mobile
©2014 Monster - All Rights Reserved U.S. Patents No. 5,832,497; 7,599,930 B1; 7,827,125 and 7,836,060 MWW - Looking for Monster Cable? - V: 2014.1.40.24-318