Legal Q: I was verbally threatened with bodily harm by my boss today at work many times.What can I legally do?

I just started this job a few weeks ago and am very good at what I do. (Sheet metal fabrication) When asking my supervisor a question about a job, he basically went ballistic, getting in my face and telling me over and over that he is going to beat my ass, with multiple witnesses present (at one point, the Human Resources lady even witnessed this in her office). In my opinion, he cracked under production pressure because he has only been a boss for about a month total from what I understand. Regardless, I have a feeling the company is not interested in addressing the issue any further. I, however, am interested. Thanks in advance for your input. Thank you for your responses. The next day, I went in to work to discuss it and received notice that they are terminating me. I had an attorney call the company and now they are flat out denying anything happened at all. I have already been hired to another job that is much more fitting for me anyhow, I am just going to move on. Thanks again everyone.

Asked By: Studrock - 9/4/2007
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
There is, sadly, no law against abusive bosses. So far as I can tell, he did not make good on his treats to cause you harm, nor did he discriminate against you, sexually harass you, or physicall assault you in any way... More
Answered By: Mel - 9/4/2007
Additional Answers (7)
Whatever you do, dont lose YOUR cool. Keep reporting him to the HR and keep a diary of these outbursts and your reports of them to HR. This is what is called working in a "hostile environment". You should not have to put up with it. I am not saying they wont fire you for some other reason, but with documentation... More
Answered By: hirebookkeeper - 9/4/2007
if you wish to pursue it as a lawsuit, try verbal assault, you DO have a witness ;]. but if you do not wish to pursue it, and my own personal advise here, let him be. He's trying to get into the daily grind and he's under a lot of stress.
Answered By: Azure V - 9/4/2007
You need to have witnesses, but he's threatening you. You can probably sue the company. But don't let anyone know you are bothered, and take an mp3 player or something small in your pocked around, until he does it again, and hit record, then sue the hell out of them. You have witness, so get it recorded. If not... More
Answered By: quickeningwind - 9/4/2007
Legally , the attorney will cost you 10 X what you could ever collect , if you won... More
Answered By: kate - 9/4/2007
First of all talk to the Human Resources lady first. If she refuses to do anything about it go to your local police station but try and convince some of the witness to go with you. If it comes down to it you may want to start looking for another job and then turn in your two week notice once you have one
Answered By: fresh_horses_7 - 9/4/2007
You have a great case, because you have witnesses... More
Answered By: Philly DiIsso - 9/4/2007
Hello. I am sorry that you are having trouble so early in your role. Firstly I would ask if there is a dignity at work policy and look to see what recourse you have. I would talk to the Manager in the first instance, if they do not respond appropriately e.g. apologise and discuss boundaries and behaviours, I would... More
Answered By: soupdragoncottage - 9/6/2007
Sponsored results
Over 483 Local Jobs Now Hiring In Your Area. $18-$87/Hr - Apply Today!
Click. Search. Apply. Free!
Jobs hiring near your local area. Part-time, Full-time, Work at home.
Sobre 287 Trabajos en tu area. $15-87/hora - Aplica Ahora.

Other Career Questions

What is your current job? Why did you choose this job? What do you enjoy about your job? What do you dislike about your job? What would be your perfect job? Would you rather have this j...
3 answers - Asked By: drop pants not bombs!.♥ - 3/2/2010
Where are the jobs? Is productivity and globalization creating a permanent “recession” of jobs? My main issue is I am doing a paper for school and have no idea where to begin. I was hoping suggestions...
4 answers - Asked By: bayebd24【ツ】 - 11/21/2007
Hi ok im 19 and about to start college to do an acess course into a university. Ive been browsing through all the courses and im tottaly stuck! I thought politics but im scared ill end up with some r...
1 answers - Asked By: roseparkerly - 1/26/2009

Content is not owned or controlled by Monster. Any content concerns should be addressed with Yahoo!
Yahoo! Does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Yahoo! Answers content. Yahoo! Disclaimer.

Popular Articles

Best-Paying Work-from-Home Jobs Article Rating
It’s easier than ever to work from home. Of course, not every job is a mobile job, and some companies aren’t interested in having their employees work from home.
2013 Marketing Jobs Outlook Article Rating
The US may be facing another year of anemic hiring overall, but that won't be the case in the high-orbit world of multichannel, digital media marketing.
For Employers: Post Jobs | Search Resumes | Advertise
About Monster | Work for Monster | Advertise with Us | AdChoices | Partner with Us | Investor Relations | Social Media
Terms of Use | Privacy Center | Accessibility Center | Help | Security | Contact Us | Sitemap | Mobile
©2014 Monster - All Rights Reserved U.S. Patents No. 5,832,497; 7,599,930 B1; 7,827,125 and 7,836,060 MWW - Looking for Monster Cable? - V: 2014.1.40.24-207