How would you deal with illegal aliens, other than deportation?
Serious responses only. As much as I'd like to say "deport", we ARE America and we are capable of forgiveness. Besides forcibly moving 20 million people out of the country is prohibitively expensive. The egg cannot be unscrambled.
So, after considering the needs of the legal residents and those of the affected criminals, I propose the following alternative to more Congressional BS.
1. Troops come home from overseas and begin being stationed on our Northern and Southern borders, with the coasts and ports covered by Navy, Coast Guard, and the Port Authorities. All will be backed up by Air Forces.
2. Not a fence, but motion sensors, infrared, and other technologies in order to monitor the extremely vulnerable southern border.
3. All illegal residents that do not turn themselves in will be deported and never allowed back in.
4. All illegal residents that turn themselves in will sign documents and submit to criminal background checks and the proper screening process.
5. All illegal residents that accept the following plea deal may stay.
6. Those accepting the plea deal will be assigned a government ID card and special social security number. Their employers will take a portion of their pay and return it to the state government to cover the social cost of illegal immigration, fraud, Identity theft; welfare, grants, and health care they have been accessing but not paying for.
7. Those accepting the plea deal realize that if they commit a felony, they will be deported after paying their debt to society.
8. Those accepting the plea deal realize they are not entitled to social security, and will not have the right to vote. However, those under the age of 16 will not incur this penalty.
9. They formally apologize to the United States of America and also THANK US for our leniency and forgiveness. They will sign an affidavit declaring that at no future date will they attempt to collect social security, and never vote.
10.In return, we will allow them to stay, ensure that they get adequate pay (as they will be subject to minimum wage laws).
11. The minimum wage for those receiving amnesty will remain the same, and the cost of the penalty will be added to their pay, thus the employer (who had committed a crime by hiring illegal workers) must cover this cost, ensuring those that want minimum wage will receive minimum wage. Alternatively, if the worker is afraid the wage increase will cost them their job, they can sign a form accepting the penalty themselves, ensuring their jobs. Suggested income penalty is an additional 10?tate income tax. This tax will be used exclusively for the social cost of medicine to illegal residents incurred by the states.
12. Those who are employed are required to learn English to a very basic standard within 5 years or be deported, and must pass a citizenship test within 6 months.
Would you agree this is a fair deal?
Do you disagree with amnesty altogether? Do you have a counter-proposal other than systematic deportation of all lawbreaking aliens?
Ancient History. What happened before I was born is something I am not responsible for.
You cannot pin guilt or crimes upon me I did not commit. You COULD accuse me of crimes I ACTUALLY committed.
In this nation, we are not penalized for the crimes of our forefathers. And YES, I am partially native American. So blow it out your nose.
Great answers: Cafe and netjr.
Kerry- Nah, I disagree. That's just plain evil. I'm looking for justice, not vengeance.
Jake- same flawed argument as the other poster.
I personally committed no crime.
You CANNOT hold people responsible for the crimes of their ancestors. And again, part native myself. So I say good day to you, sir.
Ronko- did you even read the question? It's right there in black and white... how would you deal with lawbreakers other than deportation? This is an amnesty question. Read before commenting.
Piszj- I had a similar thought. And it would be a good "fall back" position. And systematic deportation slowly but surely a good "plan C". However, I do think American values would favor forgiveness first for those who honestly are just here to work and raise a family.
I agree, they committed a crime, but there should be other options. I think this plan is better, but I do thank you for your answer.
US citizens- uhhhhh evil much?
Sorry I really dont like that answer. Actually I'm not sorry at all.
Asked By: askthepizzaguy - 9/8/2007