First of all, thank you very much for your service to your country. I am a 20 year Navy veteran and my brother in law is a 26 year Marine veteran.
Prior to joining any MLM business, you should understand how MLM works. The following link explains in easy to understand detail how MLM works.
It does not promote any business opportunity or product.
You should also understand the legalities of MLM.
Now some personal advice on MLM.
1. If you are chasing only the money, then you diminish your chances of success. Get into something that you are passionate about and want to teach to others.
2. MLM is about building relationships and gettting people to trust you.
3. You have to find out what your prospects want and need.
4. MLM is not about your personal desires and goals. It is not about fiding that superstar so your bills can be paid off.
5. It is better to have a 100 friends on your side who are not in your business, then to have 10 people running away from you screaming bad things about your business.
6. MLM takes a lot of patience and time. It takes sometimes years to become successful.
7. MLM is a business, it is not a job or a hobby. It will not work if you sit around and watch reruns of Bonaza. You have to sacrifice personal things.
8. You will have to get used to rejections from family, friends and co-workers. The word "no" will not kill you or give you cancer. Do not waste your time on those who do not want to change their lives.
9. You will need to learn how to teach your MLM system to your downline. They are looking to you for guidance. If there are some in your downline who will not do anything, then help those who deserve it.
10. You will need to learn how to sell your products and services, not just your business opportunity. There are people who for personal reasons will never join your business but may buy your product or services.
11. There are people in this world, whose daily dream is to see the MLM industry killed off and buried. Do not waste your time trying to convince them otherwise.
12. Do not be a MLM recruiting pest. It is waste of time to put flyers on peoples cars, chase down people in the malls, or go knocking door to door.
13. Get a sales coach and get as much training as you can. You need a sales coach and a lot training to learn how to qualify, invite, set appointments, do the presentation, close, over come objections, and follow-up.
14, Do not depend on your sponsor and upline to do everything for you. You need to become a leader and teach others.
15. You do not need to join a MLM business yourself just because your brother, best friend or neighbor asked you. Just because you know them does not mean they will make you successful.
16. Get out of your comfort zone and expand your network. Don't be afraid to talk to the big fish such as lawyers, corporate types, doctors, bankers. You will learn from them. However, always approach them by asking for their advice, not as a salesman.
17. Be ready to work your MLM business every day of the week, Don't be afraid to talk to people everywhere you by finding out about them. It is recommended that you exchange personal information without telling them you are in a MLM business. They need to gain your trust. If you hand them your business card the first time you meet someone, you may never hear from them again.
18. Don't waste your time with tire kickers and people who always have lame excuses for not learning about you and what you have to offer them.
19. Learn how to over come objections.
20. Show prospects the value of them joining your team.
Good luck and I wish you great success.