Protecting my US residency while working in Canada?

I am a Canadian Citizen who has been working and living in the US now under a Green Card status. I haven't had much luck in finding a suitable job in the US now for a year. I have received potential interest in a full-time job opportunity with a Foreign Company operating in Canada. How can I protect my green card status if I choose to take the job in Canada ? What should I do and how should I prepare myself ?

Asked By: workerbee - 2/17/2009
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
File for a reentry permit BEFORE leaving the United States. It will allow you to live in Canada for up to two years without losing your Green Card. Also..... maintain a US residence (apartment lease in your name or home mortgage in your name), utilities in your name (power, water, sewer), auto registered in your name... More
Answered By: Yak Rider - 2/17/2009
Additional Answers (3)
Answered By: pianojangee - 2/17/2009
You must return to the U.S. before 5 months are up. You must spend a greater part of your time in the U.S. like six or seven months. If you spend more time in Canada you will have to renew your visa.
Answered By: Prison officer - 2/17/2009
you cant. thats simple... More
Answered By: Sidwell - 2/17/2009
Sponsored results
Over 483 Local Jobs Now Hiring In Your Area. $18-$87/Hr - Apply Today!
No Fee - $17-$27/hr Working at Home. Requirements: Must Have Computer
Up to $47/hr Part-Time Job Openings. Free Schedule, No Scam. Start Now
Drive Your Car - Make up to $600 Per Weekend. Work When You Want.

Other Career Questions

What is your current job? Why did you choose this job? What do you enjoy about your job? What do you dislike about your job? What would be your perfect job? Would you rather have this j...
3 answers - Asked By: drop pants not bombs!.♥ - 3/2/2010
Where are the jobs? Is productivity and globalization creating a permanent “recession” of jobs? My main issue is I am doing a paper for school and have no idea where to begin. I was hoping suggestions...
4 answers - Asked By: bayebd24【ツ】 - 11/21/2007
Hi ok im 19 and about to start college to do an acess course into a university. Ive been browsing through all the courses and im tottaly stuck! I thought politics but im scared ill end up with some r...
1 answers - Asked By: roseparkerly - 1/26/2009

Content is not owned or controlled by Monster. Any content concerns should be addressed with Yahoo!
Yahoo! Does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Yahoo! Answers content. Yahoo! Disclaimer.

Popular Articles

Best-Paying Work-from-Home Jobs Article Rating
It’s easier than ever to work from home. Of course, not every job is a mobile job, and some companies aren’t interested in having their employees work from home.
2013 Marketing Jobs Outlook Article Rating
The US may be facing another year of anemic hiring overall, but that won't be the case in the high-orbit world of multichannel, digital media marketing.
For Employers: Post Jobs | Search Resumes | Advertise
About Monster | Work for Monster | Advertise with Us | AdChoices | Partner with Us | Investor Relations | Social Media
Terms of Use | Privacy Center | Accessibility Center | Help | Security | Contact Us | Sitemap | Mobile
©2014 Monster - All Rights Reserved U.S. Patents No. 5,832,497; 7,599,930 B1; 7,827,125 and 7,836,060 MWW - Looking for Monster Cable? - V: 2014.1.40.24-306