How long do you have to go to college to be a college professor?

Asked By: woahman! - 4/9/2009
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
Four-year colleges and universities usually require candidates for full-time, tenure-track positions, to hold a doctoral degree. However, they may hire master’s degree holders or doctoral candidates for certain disciplines, such as the arts, or for part-time and temporary jobs... More
Answered By: Sarah P - 4/10/2009
Additional Answers (3)
Well, 6 years to teach at the community college level and another 4-6 to teach at the state level. So in total, up to 12 years, assuming you are average.
Answered By: FaZizzle - 4/9/2009
To teach at a technical or community college, you need at least a masters degree in your field. To teach at a 4-year college or university, most will expect you to have a PhD in your field. A masters is 6-7 years of college (bachelors and masters) and the PhD is 8-12 years of college (bachelors, masters, and PhD).
Answered By: eri - 4/9/2009
You can have a master's to teach at my university (large state university, not a technical/community college), but it means you won't get tenure until you've completed your doctorate and gotten research published. A master's is the minimum required, but you will need to get a doctorate to be a full-time, tenured... More
Answered By: somedaythere - 4/9/2009
Sponsored results
Over 483 Local Jobs Now Hiring In Your Area. $18-$87/Hr - Apply Today!
New job opportunities added daily. Search Virginia jobs now!
Click. Search. Apply. Free!
Earn residual on products and services customers uses daily at home.

Other Career Questions

What is your current job? Why did you choose this job? What do you enjoy about your job? What do you dislike about your job? What would be your perfect job? Would you rather have this j...
3 answers - Asked By: drop pants not bombs!.♥ - 3/2/2010
Where are the jobs? Is productivity and globalization creating a permanent “recession” of jobs? My main issue is I am doing a paper for school and have no idea where to begin. I was hoping suggestions...
4 answers - Asked By: bayebd24【ツ】 - 11/21/2007
Hi ok im 19 and about to start college to do an acess course into a university. Ive been browsing through all the courses and im tottaly stuck! I thought politics but im scared ill end up with some r...
1 answers - Asked By: roseparkerly - 1/26/2009

Content is not owned or controlled by Monster. Any content concerns should be addressed with Yahoo!
Yahoo! Does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Yahoo! Answers content. Yahoo! Disclaimer.

Popular Articles

Best-Paying Work-from-Home Jobs Article Rating
It’s easier than ever to work from home. Of course, not every job is a mobile job, and some companies aren’t interested in having their employees work from home.
2013 Marketing Jobs Outlook Article Rating
The US may be facing another year of anemic hiring overall, but that won't be the case in the high-orbit world of multichannel, digital media marketing.
For Employers: Post Jobs | Search Resumes | Advertise
About Monster | Work for Monster | Advertise with Us | AdChoices | Partner with Us | Investor Relations | Social Media
Terms of Use | Privacy Center | Accessibility Center | Help | Security | Contact Us | Sitemap | Mobile
©2014 Monster - All Rights Reserved U.S. Patents No. 5,832,497; 7,599,930 B1; 7,827,125 and 7,836,060 MWW - Looking for Monster Cable? - V: 2014.1.40.24-205