Search SEARCH

Can one ask for reasons why job application was turned down?

My friend completed an application form for a vacancy (shop assistant), and received the standard reply ... Thank you for your application, it was unsuccessful, etc. Considering that the company is actively looking for staff, it is a bit puzzling that he didn't get at least an invitation for an interview. Can he contact the company concerned, and ask why it was unsuccessful? Do they have to give reasons?

Asked By: Emily - 11/27/2009
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
I knew of a company that had so many applications for a job that they could not even go through them all so they rejected 75% without even looking at the appication forms. The remaining 25% were read and from those, a handful of people were selected for interview... More
Answered By: Simples - 11/27/2009
Additional Answers (8)
Yes
Answered By: Banshee - 11/27/2009
 
Yes you can ask why and yes they have to give reasons. You can also do the same when rejected after an interview.
Answered By: Beffy Boo - 11/27/2009
 
one can indeed. Tally-ho for now
Answered By: northernsoulman - 11/27/2009
 
He was lucky that he got a reply - lot's of jobs now have a disclaimer in the advert saying that if you don't hear within a certain time then you have not been successful... More
Source(s):
Answered By: kaznaid - 11/27/2009
 
You can ask, but don't expect to get the actual reason.
Answered By: Zeldo - 11/27/2009
 
they may take some time to reply cos needed to search for your file if any,rarely people will give a damm to ask why i didnt get the job,reason is simple your friend didnt get the job, not going round one. cherry picking time for employers.
Answered By: Dragonden6389 - 11/27/2009
 
You are free to call the company, but they are not obligated my any means to tell you why they didn't hire you.
Answered By: Jason C - 11/27/2009
 
yes and it's called follow up.
Answered By: 2 young 2 understand - 11/27/2009
 
Sponsored results
Over 483 Local Jobs Now Hiring In Your Area. $18-$87/Hr - Apply Today!
Jobs.Quick-com
Make $17-$27/hr Working at Home. Requirements: Must Have Computer
moneysavingexpert.com
Up to $47/hr Part-Time Job Openings. Free Schedule, No Scam. Start Now
wahm.com/jobs
Drive Your Car - Make up to $600 Per Weekend. Work When You Want.
uber.com/Sign-Up-Now

Other Career Questions

What is your current job? Why did you choose this job? What do you enjoy about your job? What do you dislike about your job? What would be your perfect job? Would you rather have this j...
3 answers - Asked By: drop pants not bombs!.♥ - 3/2/2010
Where are the jobs? Is productivity and globalization creating a permanent “recession” of jobs? My main issue is I am doing a paper for school and have no idea where to begin. I was hoping suggestions...
4 answers - Asked By: bayebd24【ツ】 - 11/21/2007
Hi ok im 19 and about to start college to do an acess course into a university. Ive been browsing through all the courses and im tottaly stuck! I thought politics but im scared ill end up with some r...
1 answers - Asked By: roseparkerly - 1/26/2009

Content is not owned or controlled by Monster. Any content concerns should be addressed with Yahoo!
Yahoo! Does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Yahoo! Answers content. Yahoo! Disclaimer.

Popular Articles

Best-Paying Work-from-Home Jobs Article Rating
It’s easier than ever to work from home. Of course, not every job is a mobile job, and some companies aren’t interested in having their employees work from home.
2013 Marketing Jobs Outlook Article Rating
The US may be facing another year of anemic hiring overall, but that won't be the case in the high-orbit world of multichannel, digital media marketing.
For Employers: Post Jobs | Search Resumes | Advertise
About Monster | Work for Monster | Advertise with Us | AdChoices | Partner with Us | Investor Relations | Social Media
Terms of Use | Privacy Center | Accessibility Center | Help | Security | Contact Us | Sitemap | Mobile
©2014 Monster - All Rights Reserved U.S. Patents No. 5,832,497; 7,599,930 B1; 7,827,125 and 7,836,060 MWW - Looking for Monster Cable? - V: 2014.1.40.24-318
eTrustLogo