Are there programs to help with rent for women who have left their husbands?

My husband and I have been married two years and we have two children. I feel its time to separate due to verbal abuse and possible infidelity along with a lot of other things. The only problem is I don't make enough to get my own plave. So does anyone know of rental assistance to help until I get a better job and then can also afford divorce?? Any advice would help.

Asked By: Amanda E - 1/28/2011
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
You can contact social services and they may be able to help you but since he is abusive you can also contact a domestic violence shelter in your area and they may be able to help as well. Check this link to find one near you. As far as the divorce, check this second link and scroll down to the bottom of the page and... More
Answered By: Al B - 1/28/2011
Additional Answers (9)
There are pole dancing classes. or other continuing education and vocational classes.
Answered By: Poopypuss3 - 1/28/2011
Your husband will be court ordered (by the Judge) to pay you child support for the two children. You will probably qualify for food stamps (called SNAP), and possibly government assistance. Call your county welfare office and schedule an appointment.
Answered By: alwayswvgirl - 1/28/2011
Yes, ask your local social services for their lists of your local section 8 or HUD housing. There is a long waiting list usually but with 2 kids, it could be faster for you. They can even help direct you to other resources.
Answered By: Sue B - 1/28/2011
Go on the website for your state and look for assistance programs. You may qualify for monetary assistance, or at least food stamps, which will help you save up for rent. You can typically apply online so you don't have to feel ashamed, and your husband won't know. Good luck!
Answered By: Hannah Bellefleur - 1/28/2011
Hi there. Sorry to hear of your problems. Verbal abuse is bullying and you are right to get yourself and your children out of there. I don't know about help towards rent but you can go to your local Citizens Advise Bureaux and they will give you free advice of all your options and where to go from here. Look up in... More
Answered By: redpoppy - 1/28/2011
Let your attorney work this out for you. With children involved, your attorney will set up a pretrial hearing where he will be ordered to pay you support in order to maintain the home. Good luck.
Answered By: jdrumming - 1/28/2011
Ummmm, instead of being a drain on society, why not take some personal responsibility for yourself? Make it work.
Answered By: Sookie Stackhouse - 1/28/2011
Yes, it is called a job... More
Answered By: Common sense isn't anymore.. - 1/28/2011
It's called Section 8
Answered By: Rock, Paper, Scissors - 1/28/2011
Sponsored results
Over 483 Local Jobs Now Hiring In Your Area. $18-$87/Hr - Apply Today!
Click. Search. Apply. Free!
Jobs hiring near your local area. Part-time, Full-time, Work at home.
Sobre 287 Trabajos en tu area. $15-87/hora - Aplica Ahora.

Other Career Questions

What is your current job? Why did you choose this job? What do you enjoy about your job? What do you dislike about your job? What would be your perfect job? Would you rather have this j...
3 answers - Asked By: drop pants not bombs!.♥ - 3/2/2010
Where are the jobs? Is productivity and globalization creating a permanent “recession” of jobs? My main issue is I am doing a paper for school and have no idea where to begin. I was hoping suggestions...
4 answers - Asked By: bayebd24【ツ】 - 11/21/2007
Hi ok im 19 and about to start college to do an acess course into a university. Ive been browsing through all the courses and im tottaly stuck! I thought politics but im scared ill end up with some r...
1 answers - Asked By: roseparkerly - 1/26/2009

Content is not owned or controlled by Monster. Any content concerns should be addressed with Yahoo!
Yahoo! Does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Yahoo! Answers content. Yahoo! Disclaimer.

Popular Articles

Best-Paying Work-from-Home Jobs Article Rating
It’s easier than ever to work from home. Of course, not every job is a mobile job, and some companies aren’t interested in having their employees work from home.
2013 Marketing Jobs Outlook Article Rating
The US may be facing another year of anemic hiring overall, but that won't be the case in the high-orbit world of multichannel, digital media marketing.
For Employers: Post Jobs | Search Resumes | Advertise
About Monster | Work for Monster | Advertise with Us | AdChoices | Partner with Us | Investor Relations | Social Media
Terms of Use | Privacy Center | Accessibility Center | Help | Security | Contact Us | Sitemap | Mobile
©2014 Monster - All Rights Reserved U.S. Patents No. 5,832,497; 7,599,930 B1; 7,827,125 and 7,836,060 MWW - Looking for Monster Cable? - V: 2014.1.40.24-319