Yes. The Republican agenda for women and children is pure hate.
Santorum: States Should Have the Right to Outlaw Contraception
The last GOP debate saw a surprising amount of consensus on the evils of birth control.
-On Feb. 26, the Republican Montana State Senate outlawed birth control when it approved a “Personhood Amendment” (SB 406) on a 26-24 vote that would outlaw the pill, IUDs, and life-saving surgeries such as for ectopic pregnancy. Even if she needed cancer care while pregnant she could not get it as it would harm the fetus.
-Personhood legislation lost in referendums twice in Colorado and once in Mississippi since 2008, but n at least a dozen states, anti-abortion activists are attempting to place such initiatives on the ballots this year.
-On Feb. 16, the Oklahoma Senate passed a Personhood bill.
-The North Dakota legislature is expected soon to follow suit.
-Virginia passed a bill with the requirement for trans-vaginal probing against the doctor and the patient's will (r**e), and then in the face of overwhelming national opposition downgraded it to still requiring an unnecessary medical procedure against the woman’s will and on her bill.
Here is a list of misogynistic bills introduced by Republicans during just two weeks in February, 2011, showing what they want for women.
1) r**e: Republicans are actually trying to redefine r**e to exclude drugging a woman and raping her, or getting her drunk and raping her. After a major backlash, they promised to stop. But they haven't; the language is still out there.
2) More r**e. A state legislator in Georgia wants to change the legal term for victims of r**e, stalking, and domestic violence to "accuser." But victims of other crimes, like robbery, would remain "victims." Which means the rapist is not really a criminal.
3) Murder. In South Dakota, Republicans proposed a bill that could make it legal to murder anyone who injures or threatens a fetus, including a doctor who provides abortion care, and the pregnant woman herself. So I guess that makes it OK for a husband or boyfriend to kill his partner if he thinks she might injure the fetus- like in a car accident, or he just doesn’t like her anymore.
4) Starvation. Republicans want to cut nearly a billion dollars of food and other aid to low-income pregnant women, mothers, babies, and kids (WIC). But payments to corporations to not grow food, to keep prices high? Those are still in the budget.
5) Death. In Congress, Republicans have proposed the “Let Women Die Act” -- a bill that would let hospitals allow a woman to die rather than perform an abortion necessary to save her life.
6) Ignorance and slavery. Maryland Republicans ended all county money for a low-income kids' preschool program. Why? No need, they said. Women should really be home with the kids, not out working. They should be slaves to their husbands instead.
7) More ignorance. At the federal level, Republicans want to cut that same program, Head Start, by $1 billion. That means over 200,000 kids could lose their spots in preschool.
8) Poverty and starvation. Two-thirds of the elderly poor are women, and Republicans are taking aim at them too. A spending bill would cut funding for employment services, meals, and housing for senior citizens.
9) Sickness. Congress voted on a Republican amendment to cut all federal funding from Planned Parenthood health centers, one of the most trusted providers of basic health care, cancer screening, and family planning in our country.
10) Barefoot and pregnant. And if that weren’t enough, Republicans are pushing to eliminate all funds for the only federal family planning program. (For humans only - Republican Dan Burton, who supports eliminating funds for family planning has introduced a bill to provide contraception for wild horses. Horses have more value to him than America’s women.)
Mock the link if you like, Republicans, but you can verify all this for yourself using Google.
Well guess what? Eight million more women than men voted in the last presidential election, so cons WILL pay for this at the polls.