Question about forgiven Debt and the IRS Please read the whole thing?

My Husband and I had a vehicle reposession a few yrs ago after I lost my job. We made a settlement agreement and paid it a few months ago. We got letters from the Auto Loan company stating this: "Enclosed you will find an Internal Revenue Service Form 1099-C. A copy of the form has also been provided to the IRS. The amount reflected in the form is the amount of unpaid principal on your GM Financial account that is deemed uncollectible, either because we've discontinued significnt collection activity on the account under IRS definitions or because we've entered into a settlement agreement with you. We are sending this form as a requirement of IRS regulations. The unpaid principal, once it is deemed uncollectible, is considered income to you by the IRS pursuant to the regulations. Sincerely, GM Finanacial" I have a few questions about this. One, My Husband already filed his taxes (We just got these letters today) so what do we do now? Secondly, I did not work this year, does this mean I have to go file taxes now? And Third, Why is forgiven debt considered income? Do we get money back or something? Im confused. If it matters, the amount of the principal that has been forgiven is $10,000 and We paid $10,000.00 for the settlement agreement.

Asked By: - 1/31/2013
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
You should have filed jointly, which is usually more beneficial than filing separately. You can do that by filing an amended return, which you should do anyway due to the 1099-C. However, you may not have to pay any tax on it. If you can show you were considered insolvent (meaning that your debts exceeded your assets... More
Answered By: John Scott - 1/31/2013
Additional Answers (3)
Then you and your husband will file a joint 1040X, an amended tax return The IRS has determined that forgiven debt is in fact income since you did not pay the amount owed. You have no basis to appeal that IRS ruling
Answered By: Ariaread - 1/31/2013
They consider the forgiven debt income because it is basically money that was given to you- they forgave half of your debt ($10,000). You will owe taxes on that amount... More
Answered By: StayAtHomeMomOnTheGo - 1/31/2013
>My Husband already filed his taxes (We just got these letters today) so what do we do now... More
Answered By: Vinncent - 1/31/2013
Sponsored results
Over 483 Local Jobs Now Hiring In Your Area. $18-$87/Hr - Apply Today!
Click. Search. Apply. Free!
Jobs hiring near your local area. Part-time, Full-time, Work at home.
Sobre 287 Trabajos en tu area. $15-87/hora - Aplica Ahora.

Other Career Questions

What is your current job? Why did you choose this job? What do you enjoy about your job? What do you dislike about your job? What would be your perfect job? Would you rather have this j...
3 answers - Asked By: drop pants not bombs!.♥ - 3/2/2010
Where are the jobs? Is productivity and globalization creating a permanent “recession” of jobs? My main issue is I am doing a paper for school and have no idea where to begin. I was hoping suggestions...
4 answers - Asked By: bayebd24【ツ】 - 11/21/2007
Hi ok im 19 and about to start college to do an acess course into a university. Ive been browsing through all the courses and im tottaly stuck! I thought politics but im scared ill end up with some r...
1 answers - Asked By: roseparkerly - 1/26/2009

Content is not owned or controlled by Monster. Any content concerns should be addressed with Yahoo!
Yahoo! Does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any Yahoo! Answers content. Yahoo! Disclaimer.

Popular Articles

Best-Paying Work-from-Home Jobs Article Rating
It’s easier than ever to work from home. Of course, not every job is a mobile job, and some companies aren’t interested in having their employees work from home.
2013 Marketing Jobs Outlook Article Rating
The US may be facing another year of anemic hiring overall, but that won't be the case in the high-orbit world of multichannel, digital media marketing.
For Employers: Post Jobs | Search Resumes | Advertise
About Monster | Work for Monster | Advertise with Us | AdChoices | Partner with Us | Investor Relations | Social Media
Terms of Use | Privacy Center | Accessibility Center | Help | Security | Contact Us | Sitemap | Mobile
©2014 Monster - All Rights Reserved U.S. Patents No. 5,832,497; 7,599,930 B1; 7,827,125 and 7,836,060 MWW - Looking for Monster Cable? - V: 2014.1.40.24-220